Tuesday, December 11, 2007

"How do you do it?"

One of the most common asked questions that i get when it comes to parenting twins and going to school is "How do you do it??" Well, when so many things are demanded from a person, such as kids, entertaining them, homework, and exams, a person adapts. I have learned over the past 16 months to do just that...adapt. I have come up with many little tricks in order to achieve a good study time, and entertain two toddlers. This finals week, it has really helped to have "Baby Einstein" videos. Not that i am one of those parents that lock them in a room and leave, i keep them in the same room as me to play, but with that in the background, instead of looking to me for play, they will turn to that and point, laugh and continue playing...Another is i bring out new items to play with, rotating toys, and books. Occasionally letting them "get" my highlighter when they are being oooh so sneaky, keeps them excited and happy even after i take it away, i think its the whole "Ha i got it for a second!" The occasional person dropping by to say hi is always nice too, that keeps the kids excited to have a new face instead of boring mom's 24/7. So while they get played with, kissed, hugged, and cuddled for a bit i can get in a little more studying. Don't get me wrong, it is hard, hard to concentrate with kids screaming, crying, laughing, and being oh so darn cute! Hard to think, remember where i was, and to even keep all of my papers and pens next to me without little hands wandering off with them before i can react. Without help from friends and family, i am sure Kendall and I go crazy. haha. I try my best to limit studying to nap times, and times where they are being a little more independent in playing together, but when the time comes where i can tell they are getting more needy, and wanting some cuddle time, i put the books down and enjoy some Layla/Aidan time :) This evening, the kids woke up pretty cranky, nothing would stop the tears. If you have been around multiples, i have noticed this and head it from other parents, one crying seems to set off the other one, even if the other one was perfectly happy a minute ago. So i first turned on a Baby Einsteins, oh i got a reaction, they were still crying but watching...i then out of desperation for no cries set Aidan in a laundry basket...crying stops...so i decided, if it worked for him why not Layla? so i set her in their too, it worked. They sat there contently watching the movie, no more tears. Now 15 minutes later, they are out of the basket, the movie is now just a background noise, and they are happily playing together filling the basket with toys. Awww. bliss.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I seriously think you have a gift for organizing and getting things done and being so motivated! I don't think I could have ever done as good as your doing with twins and school. In fact I know i could not have. I had my hands full with just raising one at a time, and no school either! You are amazing!!

Anonymous said...

????