Monday, September 15, 2008

More S'mores

About 10 years ago, my parents did something really special for me. I had been wanting a dog for my own for awhile, and even though i had some great little dachshunds that i shared with my sisters and brother, i really wanted a "real" dog. Definition of a real dog for me then was a dog that would play more than fetch, but that would go hiking with me without me having to carry it after a few hundred yards, a dog that would swim in the lake with me, and a dog that was bigger than a cat. My parents were not ready to commit to the big dogs that i wanted, so in the end we settled on a beagle. Still classified as a small or medium size dog, however, still enjoyed the outdoors and could keep up with me. One afternoon after school they surprised me with a trip to Laramie to pick out a beagle puppy. I was thrilled and was very excited. We brought S'more home after that, and i began training him. After a few years pasted, i began getting busy with high school but still had time to take him swimming at the lake and up to the mountains to run after rabbits and occasionally chase out a cow elk from the woods. College came and i was unable to keep a dog at any of the apartments that i rented. Being a college town here, the majority of apartments refuse pets, since college students are a big enough mess themselves for landlords to clean up after.

Immediately when Kendall said we were going to look and buy a house, i became excited that maybe he wouldn't mind me bringing S'more here to live! Finally after 4 years. Sure enough we found a house with a huge yard and even added in the contract that the previous owners leave the small dog kennel in the back for when we brought S'more here.

Last Thursday i went home and brought S'more back, even though my parents miss him terribly, i want to give him a chance here to see if he is happy. He has adjusted well, and loves to play with Emily's border collie Sage. He is learning that the kids are here all the time and he needs to get his patients built up. It has been nice to have the security of a dog, i have always felt safe when i am home alone if i have a dog here, S'more can be pretty protective of me, always has been and i hope he grows to do that for the kids. Layla adores him, Aidan seems to not enjoy dogs as much as he did, maybe it is just the dogs he enjoys. Layla always sits with him to give a little hug, or to just pat him on the head calling to him "here More!" She is a lot more gentle than Aidan and you can tell that the dogs really pick up on that and avoid Aidan a bit more. He will learn.

1 comment:

janis said...

S'more is a good dog. He has always behaved good for you. I planted a tree near where his dog house used to be. Its a little tree but someday well provide good shade. I am glad he is happy and doing good and has adjusted well.