Wednesday, November 12, 2008

It is hard to believe that the development of a child can happen so fast. In a little over two years, Layla and Aidan have learned to control their movement from crawling to walking, to running, to jumping out of control. They have learned to talk, starting with small syllables to speaking in clear sentences. Along their growth they have learned to count, recognize letters, and be able to recognize and learn new words daily. The growth is amazing, and everyday i sit there wondering what i can teach my children, I strongly believe children are underestimated of their mental abilities. They are pure geniuses. I cannot teach Layla and Aidan anything fast enough, they strive to learn, and then move on to build to larger more complex things. English isn't enough when counting to 10 now, they are now working on spanish, a path they chose on their own from educational cartoons aimed to second languages. The crafts they want to take part in, the cooking they want to help with, and the cleaning they try and do is far beyond normal expectations of a 2 year old. The realization of climbing out of cribs has triggered the "ready for toddler beds, no bars to hold us in". Slowly i have started to child proof their room, taking my time in order to enjoy them in their cribs for a few extra weeks before i will have to say farewell to this time in their lives.

In just the past year, my babies have learned to master walking, to now going to the bathroom on the toilet proudly (for a few M&Ms). Emotions are well understood and they learn new ones weekly. They understand sadness, embarrassment, hurt, anger, and frustration. Not only does this set them up to learn more emotions, it also forces me to learn new ways to educate them in channeling these emotions properly, and become caring individuals that have a heart to understand others emotions carefully. Such as the day i am frantically trying to find my car keys, and i turn to see too little tots searching right after me to help. The days i am upset and Layla walks over and pats my back saying softly "It's ok mommy! It's ok." The nights when i am leaving to work and they wrap their arms around my legs saying "Don't go to work! One more hug!" I cannot explain the amount of emotions I am feeling as a mother, watching this growth, watching their personalities bloom into their own. I hope to instill in them love, empathy, independence, and fairness. I feel as if i am doing my job the night Aidan asks for a hug, but not from me, but from Layla. Showing me he truelly cares for his sister too.
I have started a journal this past week, i feel as if i cannot get enough of what they do day to day on camera or in my memory. I only enter one or two entries a day, my most favorite or Kendalls most favorite moment of the day, from sweetness, to funnyess, to just an amazing milestone. I hope to read back on these smaller moments that are usually forgotten after a few weeks, and remember them clearly everytime. I want to be able to remember every moment in their lives, because time does go by so fast and i feel as if i never have enough time with either of them!


2 comments:

janis said...

This post brought tears to my eyes as I was reading all you thoughts and emotions about being a mother. The clincher was the video at the end! I laughed so hard through tears, that was the cutest thing to watch ever!

Cindy Loo said...

:) I learn from the best