Saturday, July 22, 2006

33 Week Checkup

Well, I had my 33-week checkup Thursday with my Dr., which started out as just an ultra sound assessment that turned into 7 hours of clinic/hospital wait. RRR! The ultra sound went great; both babies are growing good and healthy. After measuring everything, the Dr. estimated that baby A (Layla) now weighs 4.7lbs, in the 53rd percentile and is still in the head down position good for a vaginal birth (her head is resting right on my cervix!) Baby B (Aidan) weighs in at 4.3 pounds, in the 40 percentile and his head is right down by Layla's meaning he is getting in a good position to come out the baby shoot too, on the ultra sound you could see that they were facing each other, very neat! So I am caring 9 pounds of baby already.... For a precaution, Doc, decided even though my cervix is normal, and not too close to delivery he decided that I should get a steroids shot in order to develop the babies lungs. He says I have to keep them in at least till 34 in a half weeks in order for them to feel comfortable delivering the babies, otherwise I would be flown to Denver where there is better care for premature babies. So nurses and Dr.s are thinking the beginning of Aug. may now be the arrival. Hopefully they wait till 35weeks (Aug.4) or later because that is when the pediatrician says they will do just fine. After the shot I was to get a non-stress test, in order to track the babies heart beats (which was a chore they did not want to hold still for the belts wrapped around!) and check for any contractions that the steroids may cause. Right as they were ready to take me off the machine at the clinic I began having some contractions and they decided to send me off to the hospital where a newer machine was to monitor longer. AWWWWWWW this is when I began to get very irritable and wanted to just go HOME! We talked to a pediatrician, which was the one that my OB/GYN highly recommended, and i liked him, very flamboyent (hehe). Its encouraging to know that at the delivery there will be 2 pediatricians there to check out each baby. Mom and I grabbed a quick bite (hadn't eaten since 9am and it was now 430) and headed to the hospital, ooh I hate hospitals! After some more monitoring, I was given some prescriptions that help keep the contractions at a minimum and finally released at 8pm. It was atleast good to see the nursery, recovery room and the OR which i would be delivering in. Soon as I thought I was out of the clear, I was wrong, the Dr. decided to put me on mild bed rest, well at least I made it almost to Aug!!! I am still able to get around the house, eat, shower, sit, what not, resting the majority of the time, and no errands. Being lazy is usually no problem for me until it is mandatory then for some reason I just want to go go go! Anyway I got my 2nd steroid shot Friday and was in and out of the clinic, which was a lot nicer than the day before. After waiting 48 hours after the first shot, and asking the Dr.s permission I decided to go back home with mom where there is air conditioning and I can relax a bit better and watch my twin birth shows on discovery health. So here I am!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched birthing shows before I gave birth, and they started to freak me out. So be careful which ones you watch. ;-)

Let me know when you want me to come help out after the babies are born. Also, if you have questions, please call or email me. :-)

Anonymous said...

yeah, that sure was a long and stressful day thursday. we were unprepared for such a long day. we both cried that night from the stess of it all, although we didnt know each of us had cried till we talked later about it. the next day since we DID prepare, murpheys law, we got in and out really fast! so its all good now.