Monday, February 11, 2008

Frightning Accident of Toddler Curiosity

I guess this story falls under the category of "freak accident". My poor baby boy had a mishap with the stairs. We were all getting ready to go, the gate above the stairs is normally there, always, but with us running up and down the stairs cleaning, and so forth, the one time it was moved, is the one time Aidan attempted to be super baby boy and walk down on his own...Since we were all scattering to get going, it was one of those times where we all thought the other was watching my sweet baby boy. I walked out of the bathroom and heard my dad yelling at Aidan to stop, it was almost slow motion, none of us could move fast enough to reach him (Aidan was not in slow mode!). I tried to run, but nothing worked, Aidan just kept walking to the top of the stairs and straight over the edge. I only heard the sound of him bumping down the 12 stairs to the bottom. I do not know what came over me, as soon as i heard the horrifying nose of my baby falling down the stairs i let out a scream...a terrified scream. I ran down the stairs to where Aidan was laying pinned between some junk that was to be brought outside and the bottom step.

He began to cry...good sign. I scooped him up and held him close. Surprisingly he did not cry long at all, luckily in the end he just had a bump on his head which was gone the next morning. We all just stood in shock afterwards, not knowing what to really do next...did this really just happen? My stomach was light, and felt horrible for hours afterwards until was for sure he was fine, which he is, afterwards he still was doing silly dances and again trying to go down the stairs peering over the gate (which was a permanent placement afterwards, along with everybody watching him and his cousin closely just in case). I am so thankful that he is ok and not seriously hurt, he was just scared and shaken up.
On a lighter note, Aidan the rest of the weekend had a great time, he played outside for a bit with my dog S'mores who is sooo great with children i can't wait till i can have him here so the kids can play with him daily, he is so sweet, never jumps on children, he has this sense in him that just "knows" that a child is near and is relaxed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful Aidan is ok. I still even today have that feeling you describe in your stomach. I am thinking of installing some kind of permanent gate there again, like we used to have when you kids were all at home. One that we can open and close and put a child proof latch on it too. I am thankful too that the stairs are carpeted which may have helped cushion the fall some. But all in all I am just so thankful Aidan is ok....